Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Food for all....

So I've been reading a few friend's blogs all about food. They make me hungry and leave me feeling inspired to cook new things and to talk about food. So here's what I have to say......

We've recently joined a local, all organic, food program. I'm not sure what else to call it. It's a little more expensive than what we would normally buy (because we wouldn't necessarily buy organic) and we don't get to pick what comes in your weekly box (whatever is fresh and ripe is what you get), but we've really enjoyed it. Our participation has had several benefits for us...

1. We try new foods - like beets. I've never eaten beets except pickled ones on the salad bar. We got beets a few weeks ago and roasted them. They were tasty. I also made chocolate/beet muffins (I know - sounds "ughh" but were actually devoured by the children). I would never buy apricots or nectarines (I just didn't grow up eating them), but we've gotten them for the last few weeks and have been enjoying them. Delaney will eat 2 or 3 apricots at a time and Jackson loves pluots (a cross of apricots and plums).
2. We have a sense of what food is actually currently growing HERE and that all foods are not naturally available all the time unless it involves airplanes, trucks, and lots of additional fuel-burning.
3. We like the idea of supporting local family farms and not paying a bunch of middle men in the process.
4. The obvious benefit is that we're getting organic produce much cheaper than it costs in the store. (again lack of middle men)
5. We're planning meals around our veggies.

So there's my sales pitch. The group we belong to is www.abundantharvestorganics.com

I encourage you to check out your local program (if I can get it here in the boonies, there's got to be one where you live!).

Well, I'm hungry now.

No comments: