Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Monday, October 13, 2008

A Biologist's Guilt...

If you regularly read our blog, you know we encountered a rattlesnake at our front door in July. Well, a few weeks ago, I found this centipede in the house. My gut reaction was to take its picture and then pound it to death. I found it in Jackson's room, under the table where he sits to do his homework. It was not a quick mover, which makes me think it was already dying (we actually use an exterminator every other month - this started after I found a live spider in clean, folded clothes - another day's story.) I took one picture (too close and it didn't turn out) and as the camera flashed, this little guy whipped around and showed me his most-hind legs, which are apparently pretty good for grabbing hold of things (or people) - hence this picture.

After I whacked the life out of it, I did a little research and discovered I had killed a Tiger Centipede. These centipedes are actually really good, as they eat spiders (which I really dislike, even though I KNOW they're good and important critters), mosquitos, and are not known to bite humans. Needless to say, I felt a little guilty, but I'll whack the next one I see anyway. They creep me out! Please don't ever give this blog address to any of my Biology students - they think I celebrate and love all creatures equally.

Let me again say, don't let my little findings dissuade you from visiting. I'll photograph it and whack it to death before you'll ever even know its here. Plus, the sunsets....think of the sunsets....and no humidity!


 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Double A's Mom said...

Jen, you crack me up! I feel guilty too about whacking things - even to the point of trying to shoo out flies instead of hitting them with a flyswatter. I draw the line at spiders, though. Can't stand them! And we found our very-first-since-we've-lived-here real alive black widow in the house a couple weeks ago. Not cool!!