Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Sunday, April 12, 2009

How old is she?!

 

Its so hard to believe she turns 4 in less than a week! Here's a picture Nate took of Delaney flying a kite. She looks and sounds so much older so often and then she turns into "Looper the cat" and meows and paws at me and I remember she's really just a little thing. She can still curl up into the tiniest imaginable ball on my lap.
Here's our exchange from a few nights ago when she was frustrated with a decision I made concerning her...
Delaney: It just makes me want to fire you!
Me: What does that mean?
Delaney: I don't know.
A little bit later, after being told to pick up in her room, she asked for help. I reminded her that I had been fired.
I've heard her "fire" Jackson before also. He's so earnest; he always replies, "But Delaney, I don't have a job."
And then, Nate just reminded me of an exchange he had with Delaney the morning following a major battle of the wills between two of the most strong-willed people I know....(myself excluded, because I'm not strong-willed...at all...seriously...believe me or else!)
Nate: Delaney, I don't like it when we argue. It made me feel bad last night that we argued.
Delaney: I don't like it either, Daddy. (and then in the sweetest possible voice you've ever heard) Maybe you should just let me do what I want to do.

Uhhhhh.....

She continues to be in that place of wanting independence but also wanting to not be independent. I guess all of us live in that place from time to time in our lives, or for some of us, all the time. She can be so, so sweet, and so, so sour. I just have to keep remembering that's she's still pretty young, no matter how articulate she is.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS, that's so great! haha i was crackin up laughin that whole time.
i cant wait to see you guys again.
-Trey

Unknown said...

I am afraid of the "wanting to do what you want" thing from Ella. Stephen has said he can not tell her "No". I hope he will figure it out when it NEEDS to happen! :) Miss you all! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I loved this post!

Hi! Checking in with you because I had dinner with Kevin Gilbert and we were Mudd reminscing. Are you sure you don't want to move back to Boulder? It would be fun to have dinner with all of our kids together!

I sent him your info, and hope it is OK that I shared your blog address. I really enjoy reading your posts. I have fallen behind with my cooking blog due to ... umm... having two kids? I guess I can't use that reason when I am writing to you!

I hope all is well with the Cook family. I wish we all lived closer!

love,
Becca